Tuesday 30 August 2011

The Sticky Situation of Self-harm Secrecy

So tonight I spent the night down the pub with a few close friends, all of who know I used to self-harm. The subject got round to health and eventually to whether people had ever had surgery which led to if people had ever had stitches and/or that glue stuff they use for sealing up cuts. Now I had never had stitches but I had been to hospital a few times for self-harm and they often needed glueing.

What was I meant to say? It was truly the most embarrassing moment of my life. I tried to just say ye I've had the glue and leave it that but after a bit of pressing it came out that it was for self-harm, (even though I still couldn't bring myself to say it, people had to guess).

This was greeted by sentences such as "Oh, that doesn't count" and the like, which I personally feel is a little unfair but I don't know - what do you think? Should someone be embarrassed that they used to Self-harm or proud that they've over come it? Does it count? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment